International Student Employment

International Student Employment

Indiana Tech: International Student Employment

Please select the statement below that best describes your current situation or what you would like to explore further:

Working on campus

Student Visa restrictions

  • You are only allowed to work on campus, in a budget position. This means when you read the job description, it should not say "work-study".
    • Work study is a Federal funded employment; this means you have to be a United States citizen in order to qualify.
  • You can only work 20 hours per week.
  • During official holiday or university breaks (winter, summer) you are allowed to work at a full-time status, which means 40 hours per week.

Steps to obtain on-campus employment

  1. Search for an on-campus job and apply.
  2. Once you have had an offer for a job on campus, you will need to obtain a Social Security number:
    • You will need a letter from your employer or future supervisor in order to apply for a Social Security card (contact Human Resources in Uytengsu Center for more information). The letter must contain information that: 1. Identifies you, 2. Confirms your current school status, and 3. Identifies your employer and the type of work you are, or will be, doing.

    How to get a Social Security number:

    • Complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5)
    • Show original documents proving your immigration status (I-94 and I-20), work eligibility, and age and identity (passport and visa).
    • Take your completed application and original documents to your local Social Security office located at 2122 Lincolnway Court, Fort Wayne, IN 46819. You can call them at 877.223.6061. Their hours of operation are Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
    • Your card can take up to two weeks to be received by mail.
  3. Obtain your Orange Card
    • An Orange Card is internal paperwork required by our university.

For more information, visit:

Working off campus

Student Visa restrictions

  • You have the option of working in an internship that will provide valuable work experience that will add to the skills you are learning in school. This option is called Curricular Practical Training (CPT).
    • CPT must relate to your major and the experience must be an integral part of your program of study.
    • CPT requires a job offer.
    • CPT requires enrollment in an internship class in which on-the-job training is required and for which course credit is received.
    • Student must be enrolled in the class at the beginning of their CPT authorization.
  • You can work part time or full time during this training (20–40 hours).
  • If your program does not require an internship, you have the option of registering for the Pre-Internship seminar class, and then complete the application for CPT.

What you need:

  • A "Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status." In other words, your I-20.
  • A signed cooperative agreement or a letter from your employer.
  • Once you have all the documentation please visit the International Student office for authorization.

Note: After completing a degree, there will be another option of working in the United States called OPT (Optional Practical Training). If you have worked for 12 months or more as a full time status using your CPT, you will be ineligible for OPT.

For more information, visit:, and".

Working in the United States after graduation

  • You are eligible to apply for a Post-completition Optional Practical Training (OPT).
  • This must relate to your major or course of study.
  • You can apply for 12 months of OPT at each education level, (i.e., you may have 12 months of OPT at the bachelor’s level and another 12 months of OPT at the master’s level).
  • Your designated school official (please visit the International Student office in Abbott Center) will provide you with a new Form I-20 that shows the DSO recommendation for this employment.
  • You will need to apply prior to graduation.

What you need:

  • Electronically fill out a form I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization)
  • Have a money order to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security for $380.
  • A copy of an updated I-20.
  • A copy of your passport and visa.
  • A copy of your I-94 (front and back).
  • Two identical color photographs of yourself taken within 30 days of filing this application. The pictures have to be white to off-white background, be printed on thin paper with a glossy finish, and be unmounted and retouched. (Tip: Try Walgreens or CVS passport pictures).
    • They must be 2” by 2”. They must show full face, frontal view. Your head must be bare unless you are wearing a headdress as required by a religious order.
    • Using pencil or felt pen, lightly print your name and Alien Receipt Number on the back of the photo

For more information and instructions on how to apply, please visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services web site.

Note: You need to wait to start work until after you receive your EAD (Employment Authorization Document).

For more information, visit:

Search companies who will sponsor your Visa

Visa sponsorship

For more information, please refer to the Companies who are Open to Visa Sponsorship document.

Copyright © 2014 Indiana Tech    1600 East Washington Blvd., Fort Wayne, Indiana 46803  [Map it]
Phone: 800.937.2448  ||  Contact Us | Employment | Campus Locations | Campus map