Library Vision Statement
To fully serve the Indiana Tech community, the McMillen Library will be an information commons which:
- Furnishes all RESOURCES, regardless of geographic boundaries
- Offers a full-range of SERVICES to foster information literacy,
- Cultivates life-long learning skills through expert INSTRUCTION,
- Delivers exceptional service through its professional STAFF,
- Provides a thriving CENTER for cultural and social gatherings that is inviting to all, and
- Promotes PARTNERSHIPS among students, staff, faculty, and the community to advance academic excellence.
There are many different definitions of information literacy, but perhaps the best succinct and comprehensive definition is: Information literacy is a set of abilities requiring individuals to "recognize when information is needed and have the ability to locate, evaluate, and use effectively the needed information."
Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education.
American Library Association. 2006.
(Accessed 14 Feb, 2007).