HLC Approves Indiana Tech for Ph.D. Program
The Higher Learning Commission has officially approved Indiana Tech to offer the Ph.D. in Global Leadership. The university received notice of the approval on Tuesday. The program, which will begin in August, will be the first Ph.D. program in northeast Indiana.
The Ph.D. in Global Leadership is designed for students to develop a deeper understanding of what leadership means in the global environment. Each student will choose a specialty addressing his or her own goals:
- Organizational management, for those aspiring to leadership roles in the for-profit and not-for-profit sectors
- Academic administration, for those seeking leadership roles in higher education
“This program is an excellent match between what our society needs and what Indiana Tech can provide,” said Dr. Arthur Snyder, president of Indiana Tech. “Leadership skills are vital in today’s world, and we have developed expertise in that area through the success of our bachelor’s and master’s programs in organizational leadership. Offering a doctoral program in the field is a logical next step for us and fills a void in post-graduate opportunities in this area.”
Coursework in the Ph.D. program will be a blend of online work, self-study, and ongoing consultation with faculty. The program consists of four components: a research core, a leadership core, a specialization, and the dissertation. The research core includes development of a qualifying paper, which will lay the foundation for the dissertation.
“The qualifying paper is one of the distinctive aspects of our program,” said Dr. Elaine Pontillo, vice president of academic affairs. “In many programs, students reach the dissertation stage without giving their research topic any thought. The qualifying paper in our program will be an in-depth investigation of a narrow topic and will demonstrate that the student is ready to pursue original research on that topic for their dissertation.”
Information meetings have been scheduled in Fort Wayne, Indianapolis, and Mishawaka to explain details about the program and the admissions process to prospective students. Individuals can call 800.288.1766 ext. 2274 or email PhD@IndianaTech.edu to reserve a seat at one of the following meetings:
- 8 a.m. March 18 at the Indianapolis campus, 3500 DePauw Blvd., Pyramid 3010
- 10 a.m. March 21 at the Indianapolis campus, 3500 DePauw Blvd., Pyramid 3010
- 8 a.m. March 25 at the Fort Wayne campus, 1600 E. Washington Blvd.
- 10 a.m. March 28 at the Fort Wayne campus, 1600 E. Washington Blvd.
- 8 a.m. April 16 at the Mishawaka campus, 4215 Edison Lakes Parkway, Suite 150
- 10 a.m. April 18 at the Mishawaka campus, 4215 Edison Lakes Parkway, Suite 150
Applicants to the program will be evaluated based on undergraduate and master’s level transcripts, standardized test scores, work experience, leadership activities, scholarly research, and an interview. The first group of students will begin the program in August.
For more information on the Ph.D. in Global Leadership, visit www.IndianaTech.edu/Ph.D