Burglars don't take vacations
Vacations are great. Everyone loves to take some time off from work and get away for awhile. However, an empty home can provide an open invitation for unwanted visitors. Some simple tips could help ward off burglars while you’re enjoying some rest and relaxation.
Don't become a victim of a burglary while you're on vacation. It only takes a few simple reminders to help ensure that you're home is safe while you're away.
While you’re away on vacation, the last thing you want to worry about is burglars invading your home and stealing your personal belongings. So before you leave, take these precautions. They’ll help protect your property and give you peace of mind.
- Lock all windows and use dead-bolts on exterior doors. Install security bars on sliding doors to prevent them from being lifted off their tracks.
- Leave a few shades or curtains open to maintain a "lived-in" appearance.
- Set light timers in a few rooms so that it appears people are at home when it's dark.
- Stop newspaper delivery so that papers don’t pile up at your door.
- Store cash, jewelry and other valuables in a bank safe-deposit box.
- Don’t leave an outgoing message on your answering machine announcing you are on vacation. Lower the volume on the machine and your telephone ringer.
- Install outside lights, preferably with motion detectors.
- If you can afford one, install and activate a security system. Or at the very least, put security system warning decals on doors and windows to deter intruders.
Finally, ask your neighbors to keep an eye on your property and to notify you if they suspect a problem. Even better, ask a friend or relative either to house sit or to stop by daily to collect your mail, put out your garbage, and check that everything’s okay. Don’t forget to exchange the favor yourself.
As an alum of Indiana Tech, you are eligible for a discount on your auto, homeowners and renters insurance through the convenience of electronic fund transfer or direct billing at home with Liberty Mutual. For more information about this program, please call 800.524.9400 or visit www.libertymutual.com/indianatech.
Coverage provided and underwritten by Liberty Mutual Insurance Company and its affiliates, 175 Berkeley Street, Boston, MA.
Reprinted with permission from Liberty Mutual. ©2010 Liberty Mutual Group. All rights reserved.