Health information technology program receives accreditationNovember 6, 2015
The Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM) has approved accreditation of Indiana Tech’s associate degree program in health information technology. Currently, 311 Tech students are pursuing this degree.
Indiana Tech’s HIT program has been accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). CAHIIM is a Chicago-based organization that accredits higher education programs in health informatics and health information management. It is the globally recognized and trusted accreditation organization for health informatics and health information management education programs to ensure the development of a workforce that meets the challenge of an information-intensive environment and its impact on global health.
“Indiana Tech began offering an associate degree in health information technology in 2012, and it has become a very popular program in a short amount of time,” said Bonnie Wilkins, health information technology program director. “This recognition from CAHIIM is important to Indiana Tech. It validates that we are producing students who have the professional knowledge and skill to succeed in today’s growing electronic health record (EHR) environment.”
CAHIIM recognized the following as strengths of Indiana Tech’s health information technology program:
· Rigor of curriculum. Graduates are rated highly on professional preparedness.
· Faculty with industry experience and interest in student success.
· Rigorous online processes: Operational efficiency, quality audits, timely and consistent response to students.
· Online positives: Virtual labs, digital learning, asynchronous flexibility.
· Supportive advisory council.
· Relevance of curriculum for employability.
· Accelerated format allows a full-time student to complete associate degree in 16 months.
· Adult students may have more direction and commitment to complete degree for career advancement.
In August, Indiana Tech began offering an online Bachelor of Science in health care informatics.
Learn more about our health information technology program at https://academics.indianatech.edu/programs/health-information-technology-as/